Hey

Discussions pertaining to the board itself go here, including introductions and requests for help!
Sparky
Outsider
Outsider

Hey

#1 Post by Sparky » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Hey guys, another new person (and another Mole fangirl, it seems ;) ). My name is Sparky, I'm 34, and I've been a fan of Atlantis since I saw it a bunch of times in the theatres. I was active in the A:TLE fandom for the first couple years but dropped out of it for a couple reasons...mostly it was that while everyone in the fandom was really nice to me, I didn't feel like I really fit in. Atlantis is a really intelligent film, and its hardcore fans (at least back in the early days) it seemed were all really good at history and science and research and everything, but I'm extremely rightbrained and couldn't keep up with them on the forums and rps - basically I felt dumb next to them, lol. Like Reb and GQ and Karen - they were really nice but I felt like I wasn't smart enough to rp with them, lol. I think GQ used to go by the name WinterSprite back then (if it wasn't GQ then I don't know who it was) and I used to chat with her a lot, and I think it was Reb who made my avatar you see here, but I always rp with more humor while everyone else was being SO serious. I rp'ed Mole and Cookie for a while, but I finally just slipped out of the fandom because I was kind of being ignored. I never wrote any fic (for the reasons described above) and I never made any fanart, nor did I ever make a fansite, so I don't think I was really "missed" when I left the fandom as I'd never had a place in it to begin with.

So now years later I decided to see what was left of the fandom. It's because I went to Disneyland a couple weeks ago and I could find no vestiges anywhere of Atlantis. I think Disney wants to pretend it didn't happen. :( (Yes, it it truly the Lost Empire.) Anyways it made me sad so I rooted around and found this forum. I think I may in fact go ahead now and make that fansite I always wanted to do, although it may not really have all that much on it or be as impressive as like GQ's or Reb's.

Anyways like I said I'm 34, I'm female, and I live in Sacramento CA with my brother and my pets. I look forward to meeting all of you. :)

~Sparky

Kidagakash85
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hey

#2 Post by Kidagakash85 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:01 pm

Sparky wrote:Like Reb and GQ and Karen - they were really nice but I felt like I wasn't smart enough to rp with them, lol.
LMFAO! That's hilarious. I'm sorry if you felt intimidated, but I hope you will find that this community is more your speed. I was a history major in college but I don't pretend to be extremely well versed on Atlantis lore or on the movie universe. ;) I have never enjoyed RPing so I wasn't on the old RP community and I don't know what went on there, but I'm sure that Reb and GQ never would have wanted you to feel bad. :) But if it's any consolation, their knowledge of A:TLE even intimidated me slightly.

They are all really busy and seemed to have moved past the Atlantis fandom, though. Reb is a member on here but she hasn't posted in years. GQ's site is totally gone; I talked to Reb a few weeks back about the fact that Geocities is closing and she said that she would try to move her site to a new host if she had time. If she hasn't moved it by the time Geocities shuts down (which I think is going to be next month or October), then she gave me the go-ahead to archive her site on this domain. I think that's great because her site is a really great resource for A:TLE fans and I would really hate to see it disappear. But I have to say, when I was saving all the pages for archiving, I was really shocked at how enormous and detailed it is! I guess I never looked at every single page before. Honestly, after looking at it I thought, "What exactly is the purpose of my site again?" It seemed so lame in comparison. But I still think it's important that we have more than one Atlantis fansite, because every person brings something new to the fandom. And so many of the old sites have disappeared or not been updated in years, which is depressing. So I hope you will make a fansite if you decide that's what you want to do. :-) You are not alone!

That was long. I hope it made sense. *^_^*

OH and if you are still interested in RPing, one of our members, alkorn, created a new one and he is looking for participants. The thread about it is here: viewtopic.php?t=152

If you are interested, you should check it out!

Kidagakash85
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by Kidagakash85 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:04 pm

Oh and P.S.:
Sparky wrote:I live in Sacramento CA
I am from Stockton! It's a small world. :D

Sparky
Outsider
Outsider

#4 Post by Sparky » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:15 pm

Kidagakash85 wrote:I am from Stockton! It's a small world. :D
Yeah it is. ;) I used to live in the LA area though, I miss it soooo much. Still working on my brother trying to convince him we should move down there, lol. It would make going to the Comic-Con every year a lot easier, that's for sure!

I am SO HAPPY you are archiving Reb's site, I was half-wondering if I should do it before its gone (my brother's site is on geocities too or I wouldn't have known about them going away). I only first saw it last week because like I said I dropped out of the fandom and that included just browsing the web as well. I had only seen GQ's site, and it was a bit of a shock to find that not only the old rp forum was gone but all the files in the Atlantis section. :/ I mean, I've lost interest in fandoms but I have never completely removed sections from my site, just posted notes that I would no longer update. I mean its cool she took it down entirely, it just surprised me.

Kidagakash85
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by Kidagakash85 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:19 pm

I know, it completely shocked me! I am also kind of mad because she still owns the domain so I can't believe she didn't just post a "this site is dead but here's the old stuff" note. I own a Harry Potter fansite that I don't intend to update again but I left it up because I know a lot of people visited it and I didn't want to incur their wrath, haha. Of course, it's her own choice. But it makes me sad when I have to update my site and remove stuff from the links page! :(

Sparky
Outsider
Outsider

#6 Post by Sparky » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:59 pm

Right and then people email you and ask you where the site went. Like you can control what other people do with their sites. That happens to me allll the time. :roll:

Pharoah
Royalty
Royalty

#7 Post by Pharoah » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Welcome to the forums :)