Geocities closing

Have a new Atlantis site you'd like to share with us? Updates on your website? Anything at all to do with websites goes here!
Kidagakash85
Administrator
Administrator

Geocities closing

#1 Post by Kidagakash85 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:01 pm

The free web host Geocities is shutting down later this year, and all websites hosted with them will be deleted. So, if you are hosted with them, make sure you move your site before they delete your stuff! And if you know of any sites that may not have been updated for years (and so probably will not be moved), but had some awesome stuff on them, I would start saving it now.

Sparky
Outsider
Outsider

#2 Post by Sparky » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:43 am

Kida, have you backed up Reb's site yet? There's only a few more weeks. :)

Kidagakash85
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by Kidagakash85 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:23 pm

It's all backed up. I have to delete the coding that Geocities inserts for the ads before I upload it for archive, but I've got it all. :) Thanks for the reminder!

RifleExpert
Palace Guard
Palace Guard

#4 Post by RifleExpert » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:51 am

So, where and when we will see that again?) Or, maybe modify it while it's not online?)

Kidagakash85
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by Kidagakash85 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:59 pm

I will post the new link when I upload it. :-)

Kidagakash85
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by Kidagakash85 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:19 pm

I hit a snag checking to make sure I had all the files--the fullsize versions of ALL the fanart on the site (we're talking about the City of Atlantis, BTW) were hosted on a different site, which is now gone. I e-mailed Reb again to see if she has them saved and can e-mail them to me. Otherwise, that section of the site will be gone when I post it in archival form.

P.S. there's a chance she will move the site herself, in which case I wouldn't archive it on this domain--she just gave me the okay to upload it if Geocities goes away and she hasn't done anything with it herself. Whether I archive it or she moves it herself, I will make sure you all know the new link when it's available.

Kidagakash85
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by Kidagakash85 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I decided to upload it a bit early so that in case I missed anything, I can get it off the site before it's too late. Here's the link: http://noble-scarlet.net/atlantis/city/

Please check it out and see if there's anything missing. I'm aware that almost all the fullsize fanart is gone, and almost all external links are dead, but if you guys could check and let me know if anything you think should be there isn't and I will double check to see if it's something I can save.

I opted not to archive any of her old fanlistings, but if you really really want them, I can try to save them before Geocities closes.