The Lost Empire of Abyssinia

Have something going on in your real life that you'd like to tell your friends at KFU about? Talk about it here!
Keran_Shadlag
Citizen
Citizen

The Lost Empire of Abyssinia

#1 Post by Keran_Shadlag » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi All!

I just wanted to write something to you-all.

I'm very pleased with my involvement in Ethiopian studies and linguistics here at my new university. Ethiopia (Abyssinia to 1800s scholars)'s ancient empires and kingdoms are like a real-life Atlantis, hidden in a side-nook of Africa. They have ancient coins and a vibrant, dead dialect in which hundreds of musty manuscripts are written about valiant kings and supernatural happenings. They have a crazy alphabet that indicates vowels in a special way, and many ancient inscriptions telling about the ancient empire's history, and the whole works.

Here's an article by a guy from the Smithsonian about them having the Ark of the Covenant hidden away in some monastery guarded by secret monks.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/people-pl ... c=y&page=4

Alas, I like writing systems with a few thousand (1,000) more characters, so eventually I'll have to spend more time on something else. But here's a good place to be and I thought I'd share.

Keran_Shadlag

RifleExpert
Palace Guard
Palace Guard

#2 Post by RifleExpert » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:26 pm

wow)) It rather good, but dating...By no matter how, this thing must be explored. Interesting link, thank you.
PS in russian school cource of the world history is no word about the Africa. Why? how we know history, that's is how we live)

Pharoah
Royalty
Royalty

#3 Post by Pharoah » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:45 pm

it's a shame i cannot get into the whole language thing. I guess the fan fiction and char mimicking thing is better suited for me.

Keran_Shadlag
Citizen
Citizen

#4 Post by Keran_Shadlag » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:40 pm

That's okay.

Pharoah
Royalty
Royalty

#5 Post by Pharoah » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:38 am

yeah i think i'll stay with working on stories for awhile.