It bugged me

Here is the place we can discuss the two films, including character discussions, favorite moments, music, pictures, etc.
Adenostar
Outsider
Outsider

It bugged me

#1 Post by Adenostar » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:43 pm

Ok, so this is something that bugs me about the sequel. Maybe I'm the only person that noticed it or even considered it, but I tend to put a lot of thought into the little things.

Milos Return is supposed to take place several years after the first movie. I think sometime in the 1930's. However, no ones aged at all. Now, a lot of people claim its because of their crystals, but I say thats utter crap. In the first movie, its implied that the heart of Atlantis is where the true power of the crystals comes from. Its what keeps them from aging.

When Kida becomes bonded to it and Rourke takes her away, the smaller crystals dim, implying that they lose their power. Milo even says if they don't get Kida back, the whole city will die. If it were JUST the smaller crystals that kept them alive, they'd have been fine with or without the heart.

So explain to me how the people on the surface don't age one bit between the first and second movies, despite being nowhere near the heart of Atlantis. Naturally, Milo is exempt as he had been living in Atlantis with the heart the entire time.

Not to mention that theres no mention of their families or anything. I mean, wouldn't Audreys parents and sister think it a bit odd that in almost 20 years, shes not gotten any older? Am I the only person that thinks about things like this? Maybe I'm just one of those people that spends too much time on the little details or something. I dunno.

When I first saw Milos Return, I hated it. I thought it was cheesy and not very well thought out. Granted, it WAS meant to be a TV series, which could have been really cool, but as a movie it wasn't that great. Eventually it grew on me, and while its nowhere near as great as the original, its still one I enjoy. However, being the detail oriented person that I am, I refuse to acknowledge it as part of the Atlantis timeline. For me, the timeline ended with the original movie. Not counting fanworks of course, because people always write things to keep a story going. And to me, thats really the only way to continue the story. Actually.. come to think of it, the second movie sorta plays out like some kind of AU fanfiction.

Also, as a side note, raising Atlantis at the end of the sequel totally killed the story for me. But other than all that, it really wasn't THAT bad. It was funny and entertaining, but I just can't take it as a serious part of the storyline.

Pharoah
Royalty
Royalty

#2 Post by Pharoah » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:58 pm

the aging thing can be explained easy, the royal crystals, they hold a greater charge then the regular ones. As for the sequel, tbh... it felt a little backwards... i mean raising the city right before wars and whatnot seems it's ready for more exploitation to me. Honestly i know i have said this all before, but i really do think that my episodic series could have been made into a better sequel then the sequel that was released, What they lacked, was time, and original ideas. With my series. they either pickup right after ATLE, or the pre-series, which talks about my chars beginnings and how he found ATLE. Whats even more odd is... Kida is Queen right? why doesn't Milo act like a King if the sequel takes place years later? Why also doesn't Kida NOT have a ring on her finger. Both movies make NO reference that they are married. Whats the deal with the different skin tones and clothes for all the Atlans including Kida? where did her Queen Tattoo go? she had it at the end of the first movie didn"t she?. And whats the deal with the inconsistency of the Crystal Sizes? I think the sequel should have been done better, and differently, it just seems like there was too much imbalance and too much uncoordinated story line. Oh well. Leagacy's Live on, don't they? I mean. if i can make people think i am half-atlantean myself, anything is possible, including a BETTER sequel! :) (Yeah i showed Sapmmer) My entrie Atlantis Collection (toys/books/crystals/ect)

Sappmer
Outsider
Outsider

#3 Post by Sappmer » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:24 pm

And he has got some awsome stuff. and allot too.

Pharoah
Royalty
Royalty

#4 Post by Pharoah » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:36 pm

I might as well just say i am an Atlantean...

Adenostar
Outsider
Outsider

#5 Post by Adenostar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Pharoah wrote:the aging thing can be explained easy, the royal crystals, they hold a greater charge then the regular ones.
So, you're telling me they just happened to have a handful of royal crystals just laying around? And where do the little crystals come from anyway? Are they made by the larger crystal? If so, how did they get new ones during the time the crystal was hidden? It was hidden for thousands of years. Was the king going down there every now and then to get little crystals in secret? Or maybe they make the crystals themselves, then transfer power from previously made crystals.

Yes, I'm crazy for detail, I know. Its just a movie, its fantasy, its not meant to make sense. But I think some things would have been a lot better if they had taken more time to fully explain them. I still say the storyline should have ended with the first movie. And I think its better if the crystals don't stop the aging process of the people on the surface. Setting the sequel in the 30's and having everyone look the same was just silly.

Also.. I wish I had some Atlantis stuff. I used to have a little poster and card game book, that I've lost all the posters and most of the cards from. And the official movie guide, thats gone missing now. I loved that book, and had planned to use it as reference for my fanfic. Instead I was forced to search through dead and no longer existing websites for information.

Pharoah
Royalty
Royalty

#6 Post by Pharoah » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:03 am

I would invest in the Tours Guide, it explains most of your questions. Besides whos to say that the King, or Kida really had any notice of any extra Royal Crystals, the fact that they would be needed is kinda non-important up until the end where Kida gives each crew members one. This making it more sense to do so, due to the fact that the crystals are givin out FREELY to outsiders that tour Atlantis. However during this time it's understandable why Kida would bestow royal crystals to the crew members, thus saying "Atlantis will honor your names forever" Also another fact, those Gords that the King had on his Staff, contained more Royal Crystals. Any light you see in the Palace are lit by crystals, any Crystal is part of the Original Crystal. even though where they come from isn't made quite clear due to the fact that the Mother crystal resembles a Plasma-Like Energy Source, it's more believable that these kind of Crystals grow in places due to Atlantis's Unique Eco System, that and the mother crystal probably probably plays a role in their growth. Also, another fact. The mother crystal acts as their Sun/Moon. It dims during the night to simulate Night Time. It also replenished the water and air supply, and helps flauna and wildlife continue to grow. Honestly i know to much about ATLE lol... which is why i said i might as well be part Atlantean myself.... Have questions, just as ol' Pharoahgakash

Adenostar
Outsider
Outsider

#7 Post by Adenostar » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:37 am

Hmm... well isn't that interesting. I need to find some more ATLE stuff. I don't even own the movie. Its sad. ;_; I must get my hands on some books and DVDs and stuff.

I still think the movie would have been a little better if the aging process of the surface people hadn't seemed to have stopped completely. They could have slowed a tiny bit, but nowhere NEAR as much as the actual Atlanteans had slowed.

I mean... if they had to have slowed it down because of the crystals (which I still say is ridiculous if they're on the surface), they should have made them age a tiny bit. Instead of not aging at all in almost 20 years, how about aging only 5 or 10 years for every 20. That way they'd age slower, but wouldn't be nearly ageless like the Atlanteans.. because they're not Atlanteans.

Its for this reason that I ended up totally changing it all in my story, so that the real power comes from the heart, and only people in Atlantis itself would be ageless. Though, I MAY end up making it so the people on the surface age a little slower than normal, but I'm certainly not going to have them all be the exact same ages 30 years into the future.

Of course... my story will end only about 3 years after the first movie.. so, theres really not a lot of time there to make anyone age much. If I ever actually get my crap finished, the first story takes place in 1915, a year after the first movie.. then the others should follow for each year after that, with the final story taking place in 1918. Though I've considered writing a few little follow up oneshots after the end of the series.

Little edited note: I NEVER even noticed Kidas missing tattoo in the second movie. Holy crap how did I miss that? I was just looking through screencaps from the first movie and there it was, and I realized she doesn't have it in Milos Return. On that note, how did the creators miss that?

Sappmer
Outsider
Outsider

#8 Post by Sappmer » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:51 am

maybe it wasn't a tatoo?

Pharoah
Royalty
Royalty

#9 Post by Pharoah » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:17 pm

who knows.... the whole point of a movie is to throw away your disbelieving, am i right?

alkorn
Citizen
Citizen

#10 Post by alkorn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:44 am

Tatoo was here... :oops:
in the first film
in the second

Adenostar
Outsider
Outsider

#11 Post by Adenostar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:46 am

On Kidas tattoo -

At the end of the first movie, shes got another tattoo, which you can see here http://magicalscreencaps.com/images/atl ... tis886.jpg

She doesn't have it in the second movie.

alkorn
Citizen
Citizen

#12 Post by alkorn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:52 am

Oh...Maybe,the error of the producer

Keran_Shadlag
Citizen
Citizen

#13 Post by Keran_Shadlag » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:09 pm

You know what's funny? I have yet to take the time to see the "sequel". I have a hunch that if I did, I wouldn't include it in canon due to what I know it includes.

I like the whole "King Arthur Canonicity" paradigm which is evoked by the creators of Star Wars: these stories are not necessarily canon, but they're out there and they are art.

What was Disney to do? They had like 3.5 unfinished episodes. They probably thought they'd sell more as a "sequel" than as "random Atlantis". Maybe they were right, but I think that artists have to have integrity, something Disney skirted regarding the sequel. Does that really detract from what's of quality in Atlantis: The Lost Empire? It doesn't have to.

I've ended up spending a fair amount of time studying the ATLE Mythos and I must say that for all the hidden gems I've found, I try to acknowledge the inconsistencies and work with them, but avoid them in my own fan fiction.

Adenostar
Outsider
Outsider

#14 Post by Adenostar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:44 pm

Keran_Shadlag wrote:You know what's funny? I have yet to take the time to see the "sequel". I have a hunch that if I did, I wouldn't include it in canon due to what I know it includes.

I like the whole "King Arthur Canonicity" paradigm which is evoked by the creators of Star Wars: these stories are not necessarily canon, but they're out there and they are art.

What was Disney to do? They had like 3.5 unfinished episodes. They probably thought they'd sell more as a "sequel" than as "random Atlantis". Maybe they were right, but I think that artists have to have integrity, something Disney skirted regarding the sequel. Does that really detract from what's of quality in Atlantis: The Lost Empire? It doesn't have to.

I've ended up spending a fair amount of time studying the ATLE Mythos and I must say that for all the hidden gems I've found, I try to acknowledge the inconsistencies and work with them, but avoid them in my own fan fiction.
I totally agree with everything you said here. I don't consider the sequel to be "canon" but its still there, and.. well, its kinda like its own separate canon. I suppose the way to think of it would be alternate universe. I actually look at it as a fanfic written by the creators of the original.

And you're right, what were they to do? Honestly, I wish they had actually been able to make the series, that would have been awesome, inconsistencies or not.

Keran_Shadlag
Citizen
Citizen

#15 Post by Keran_Shadlag » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:37 pm

Huh-huh, yeah! If you can have your series, then I can have my Atlantean Dictionary by Marc Okrand. :D