The "kraken baby" sequence that was cut

Here is the place we can discuss the two films, including character discussions, favorite moments, music, pictures, etc.
Sparky
Outsider
Outsider

The "kraken baby" sequence that was cut

#1 Post by Sparky » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:08 pm

To recap for people who haven't seen MR in a while, or never (I don't blame you if you avoided it, I did myself for a long time): At the end of the first story this one creepy lady is holding a baby covered in a blanket and is like, cooing to it and saying everything will be better now or something like that, then turns and walks away. On the DVD there is a short cut sequence where after she turns away, kraken tentacles writhe out of the blanket - it was a baby kraken.

Now...when I watched MR as is (without knowing of this cut sequence), I was EXPECTING tentacles to come out of that blanket. That lady was so creepy, and where did this baby come from, she only said she had children before, not a baby...I just seriously thought to myself, okay that's not a baby it's a monster. But then nothing happened, and that was confusing, because it was building up to something creepy that never happened. Then I watched the cut sequence.

The problem is...neither having the baby be a kraken or NOT having the baby be a kraken makes any sense to me. I mean, why WOULD it be a kraken, but like I said, it FELT like it should be a kraken. But then it wasn't. But apparently it was originally intended to be.

MY BRAIN. D: Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I guess we have to take it as canon that it *wasn't* a kraken, but then why was that lady so freaking creepy?? :bwahaha: Lol I can't help it, that whole thing bothers me.

Kidagakash85
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by Kidagakash85 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Well, as for why the baby was the Kraken in the deleted scene, I think that the writers were going for shock value and probably laughing their heads off all the while ("we'll freak everyone out"!). But I think it probably got cut for the reason you said--it didn't make sense. Also, I could see Disney having a fit because it seems like bestiality/tentacle hentai or something, haha.

She was reeeeally weird, though. I thought that she might have been possessed the way Audrey was; weren't the other people in the town kind of weird because of the Kraken? I can't remember, it's been a few years. I remember being a little surprised that she was still acting drugged-out even after the Kraken was gone.

Pharoah
Royalty
Royalty

#3 Post by Pharoah » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:59 pm

I still don't understand their thinking behind the events that took place in the sequel... tis all wrong i tell you... and James Arnold Tayler doin the voice instead of Micheal J Fox, is just no.... JAT does the voice of Ratchet in the Ratchet and Clank games...

Kidagakash85
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by Kidagakash85 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:06 am

Aww I love JAT. :( But I still think that parts of the sequel (especially the ending) were WTF-worthy.

Pharoah
Royalty
Royalty

#5 Post by Pharoah » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Yeah, if u like JAT u outa check out some of the Ratchet and Clank game videos, they are some of the best videogames for the PS2/PS3